CharPad (Free Edition)
A downloadable tool for Windows
CharPad is a graphics data editing tool that facilitates the production of graphics data in a format compatible with the legendary Commodore 64 home computer.
The program runs on Windows desktop using .NET technology and allows you to design character sets, tiles, fonts and maps for 2D video games and demos.
You can start a project from scratch using the built-in freehand painting tools or import and convert any existing bitmap image into a C64 compatible tile map using various tile sizes from 1 x 1 up to 10 x 10 characters (100 different sizes).
CharPad has been in development since 2003 and has been widely considered an essential weapon in modern C64 game development ever since.
It has also been shown to work well on other platforms using the Mono software for .NET compatibility.
New for the 2.7.2 version...
- Tile naming/tagging features (previously only available in the Pro Edition).
- Tile Editor: Cell Selection with selection only ops.
- Bugfixes etc etc, it's bang up-to-date with everything but pro features.
New for the 2.6 version...
- Export - One-click export of all essential binaries.
- Project - Conversion from per-char to per-tile colouring.
- General - Maximum tile size is now 10 x 10.
- General - Countless code optimizations and bug-fixes.
- Compressor - Sort characters by colour (ascending).
- Compressor - Sort tiles by colour (ascending).
- Image import - Increased capacity up to 500,000 character images.
- Image import - Much faster algorithm.
- Binary/Text export - Map data by selected area only.
- Text export - Char/Tile usage statistics.
- Map editor - Box highlighting of "current" cell.
- Map editor - Area fill (solid/incremental).
- Map editor - Delete row/column.
- Map editor - Insert blank row/column.
- Map editor - Dimensions of the selected area shown in status bar.
- Tile editor - Char "Picker" tool.
- Editors/sets - Next/Previous item with keyboard shortcuts.
- Editors/sets - Zoom level in status bar.
- Editors/sets - Zoom level shortcut (CTRL + mouse wheel).
- Sets - Mouse wheel for vertical scroll.
- Sets - Box highlighting of "current" items (left/right mouse buttons).
Click download now to get access to the following files:
- CharPad Free Edition 2.7.229 days ago
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.