A downloadable tool for Windows
CharPad is a graphics data editing tool that facilitates the production of graphics data in a format compatible with the legendary Commodore 64 home computer.
The program allows you to design character sets, tiles, fonts and maps for 2D video games and demos.
You can start a project from scratch using the built-in freehand painting tools or import and convert any existing bitmap image into a C64 compatible tile map using various tile sizes from 1 x 1 up to 10 x 10 characters (100 different sizes).
CharPad has been in development since 2003 and has been widely considered an essential weapon in modern C64 game development ever since.
CharPad Pro Edition is an evolution of the original CharPad tool that contains some useful additional features, many of which have been commissioned by Thalamus Digital Publishing during the latter half of 2019 to assist in the development of their own games.
This special edition is now available to the public
New features (version 2.85, January 2021)...
- Brand new Win32 and Win64 executables now accompany the .NET version.
- Improved scroll bar behaviour.
- Faster rendering.
- Middle mouse button ops for quickly picking colours/tiles.
- Many interface improvements and bug fixes.
New features (since the 2.6 version)...
- Export - One-click export of all essential binaries.
- Project - Conversion from per-char to per-tile colouring.
- General - Maximum tile size is now 10 x 10.
- General - Countless code optimizations and bug-fixes.
- Compressor - Sort characters by colour (ascending).
- Compressor - Sort tiles by colour (ascending).
- Image import - Increased capacity up to 500,000 character images.
- Image import - Much faster algorithm.
- Binary/Text export - Map data by selected area only.
- Text export - Char/Tile usage statistics.
- Map editor - Box highlighting of "current" cell.
- Map editor - Area fill (solid/incremental).
- Map editor - Delete row/column.
- Map editor - Insert blank row/column.
- Map editor - Dimensions of the selected area shown in status bar.
- Tile editor - Char "Picker" tool.
- Editors/sets - Next/Previous item with keyboard shortcuts.
- Editors/sets - Zoom level in status bar.
- Editors/sets - Zoom level shortcut (CTRL + mouse wheel).
- Sets - Mouse wheel for vertical scroll.
- Sets - Box highlighting of "current" items (left/right mouse buttons).
The "Pro Edition" enhanced features include...
- Support for the VIC-II 'Extended Colour Mode' (ECM).
- Colour palette editing in RGB, HSL and YUV formats.
- Typing text directly into the Map Editor using a chosen "Key map".
- Copy/paste between program instances.
- Map Editor "Flexi-Grid" feature that allows map data to be subdivided.
- Tile naming/tagging for coding convenience (labels/source code).
- Exporting of map data in 8, 12 or 16 bit formats (ie. >256 tiles).
- Portable apps, run on Windows or Mac/Linux using ie. WINE.
- Includes 3 executables, Win32, Win64 and .NET builds.
- Buyers will have free access to all future updates of this product.
CharPad Pro is also available as a twin-pack with SpritePad Pro for a reduced overall price, for more info click here
In order to download this tool you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $9.99 USD. You will get access to the following files:
- CharPad Pro 2.903 days ago
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.